Making Rules to filter incoming emails
by John Anthony
In Email programs you can set message rules which let you filter incoming emails in certain ways.
You can delete, forward, save to a folder etc., all the messages based on specific text in certain areas of the incoming emails.
For Windows Live Mail
- Open the Folder tab.
- Then select the Message Rules option at the far right.
- Click the New button to begin a new rule.
- Under Select One or More Conditions choose the condition you want applied to the selected incoming emails.
- Next, Choose the Action to be taken for the selected emails.
- In the next section enter the word(s) you want to be used in the incoming emails to select them.
- In the last box enter a name for the rule you just created, then click the Save Rule button.
For Outlook Express
- Click Tools.
- Select 'Message Rules' from the drop down menu.
- Then click Mail and the 'Message Rules' Box opens.
- Select the 'Mail Rules' tab and click New, which opens the ‘new mail rule’ box.
- In the 'Select the Condition for your rule' section, select the 'Where Subject line contains specific words' box.
- Go to 'Rule description' section and enter the word or phrase to look for in the subject line.
- In the 'Select the Actions for your rule' area, select ‘Delete it’.
- In the last section of the ‘new mail rule’ box you can select a name for the rule, like 'Delete emails about Jane Doe'.
- Click OK and you're done.
Computer Help A to Z
88 Windmere Drive
Angier, NC 27501