by John Anthony
Many programs come with (bundled) the Windows Operating System.
The following applications represent a tiny fraction of the programs
that are used by millions of people everyday. This list of available
application software is immense. Software of every flavor
and type is available to do almost anything you need or
want to do.
Applications found in Start > Programs:
- Windows Explorer - Allows you to see and access all the
folders and files on your HDD, FDD, CDD and Local Area
- Internet Explorer - This is a browser program that
enables your PC receive web pages from servers located
anywhere on the Internet.
- MS-DOS Prompt - Allows you to open a DOS session under
Applications found in Start > Programs > Accessories:
- Notepad - Simple word processor with limited features used
to create and modify text (.txt) files.
- Wordpad - Word processor with more features than
Notebook. It can handle large document (.doc) files.
- Paint - Allows you to create, modify and save image
files in bitmap (.bmp), JPEG (.jpg) GIF (.gif) formats.
- Imaging - Another image file program that works with
bitmap (.bmp), and TIFF (.tif) filetypes.
- CD Player - Simple CD player.
- Sound recorder - If you have a microphone plugged into
your sound card you can record sounds and play them back
with option of adding effects like echo. You can also play them
backwards as well.
- Volume Controller - Five sliders control overall
volume) Play Control as well as from CD, Wave, Midi and
Line sources. Each sound source has a left/right fader to
control how the sound is panned (distributed) between the left and
- Windows Media Player - Plays video (.mpg) and audio
- Disk Defragmenter - Program used to defragment you hard
drive. Click here to
find out more about how to do this.
- Calculator - Simple calculator with half a dozen functions.
Other Application Programs
In addition to bundled applications, there are thousands of third party
application programs you can use. Some are tailored toward work and
others are purely for fun. Each program specifies the minimum required free hard drive capacity, processor speed, video resolution and amount of
installed memory in order for it to operate properly.
This is a group of programs that offer a complement of
applications that suffice for most office type work. MS Office has
become a de facto standard for creating and sharing
documents for a large percentage of both business and
personal PC users. It includes:
- WORD is a powerful word processor that contains
templates that allow you to quickly create numerous
document types such as letters, faxes and resumes. Tables
for chart type data can quickly be set up.
It supports a wide variety of fonts, font sizes, text
foreground and background colors.
You can format it so that envelopes and labels can be
- EXCEL is a spread sheet program for creating and
manipulating numerical data.
It contains functions that allow powerful calculations for
general, accounting and engineering type problems.
Charts and graphs can be generated to better show
relationships between variables.
- POWERPOINT enables you to create powerful slide show
Color, animation and a number of effects can be used to
enhance your slide show.
- ACCESS is a database program that can be used to keep
track of large amounts of related data that can be output in
any manner you need.
Computer Help A to Z
88 Windmere Drive
Angier, NC 27501